The following pages include some key information we feel will help you get the most out of your stay; including information on travel tips, health considerations and the Filipino culture. For those who have visited the Philippines before, please feel free to share your tips and experiences via a blog piece you can do under Student Stories!
Students on the Industry Study Tour to the Philippines will spend most of their two weeks at the GK Enchanted Farm, which is located in Bulacan, a province in the Philippines, located in the Central Luzon Region in the island of Luzon, 11 kilometres north of Metropolitan Manila.
This will be a unique experience for you because you will be able to:
- Immerse yourself in a unique, international farm-village community;
- Get hands on helping a start-up social enterprise or social project;
- Explore the authentic Philippines – its people, culture and off-the-beaten track destinations.
What is the GK Enchanted Farm?
It is far more than just a farm. The GK Enchanted Farm is a unique and inspiring destination which brings together the rich and poor to build a world in which no one is left behind. Little more than wasteland a few years ago, the Enchanted Farm is today a thriving hub for social entrepreneurs who are committed to building businesses in partnership with the local community. There are over twenty-five social enterprises of varying sizes that have already been incubated at the farm in industries as diverse as food and beverage to toys. The entrepreneurs themselves come from the Philippines, France, the US, Holland and Malaysia, among others. What they all share in common is a committed to do business differently, through prioritizing people and the environment above profit.
Why go on an industry study tour to the Enchanted Farm?
By spending nearly three weeks at the GK Enchanted Farm, you will gain a unique insight into both the challenges and opportunities of doing business in one of the fastest emerging economies in the world. Moreover, you will discover first-hand the emerging field of social enterprise, in which business solutions can be found to some of the Philippines (and the world’s) most pressing problems.
Here are some of the main opportunities the trip presents:
- Spend time with inspiring, purpose-driven entrepreneurs;
- Contribute your own skills to a social enterprise or social project to enhance your employability skills for job-readiness;
- Network at the 2018 Social Business Summit, a gathering of 500 business executives, politicians and students from the Philippines and beyond;
- Explore the rich culture of the Philippines through visiting indigenous and Gawad Kalinga communities (Gawad Kalinga is one of the Philippines’ most respected Non Government Organisations);
- Go trekking, learn to surf and chill out at two beach destinations while you learn and earn credit towards your degree (yes, there will also be some time left over for fun, but your learning experience is also our focus!)